Monday 19 January 2009

Haven't much time to write.....

So I'll be quick.

Got called in for an overtime shift last Saturday. The forecast was dreadful, but I went on my Subway 1 anyway. I expected to get drenched, however, the ride into work wasn't anywhere as bad, as that. Had to put up with a bit of a headwind, while travelling down the valley, but hardly got wet.

While at work, the weather worsened all through the day, just as the weathermen had forecast, so by the time came to make the trip home, there were gale force winds and deluges of heavy rain, blowing and falling. The lads at work all agreed I must be mad to travel home on the bike in such weather. Kerwin even offered to drive me and the Subway home. I thanked them all for their concern, insisting I'd cycled home before in even worse conditions.

The winds were fierce, but in fact were mainly at my back, and being well prepared gearwise, my beanie hat, goretex workcoat, waterproof trousers, and neoprene overshoes, all kept the rain at bay. The ride was fantastic, I don't believe I've ever experienced such a tailwind before. It made cycling back up the valley, and particularly the hill at Aberdulais, a breeze, if you'll excuse the pun. It was almost like surfing the wind.


Normally the return trip from work to home takes me an hour and a half, Saturday I did it in 75 minutes, with no extra effort on my part, it was all down to mother nature.

Fantastic, cheers.

3 comments:

2whls3spds said...

Sweet! With my luck the wind would change just before the shift ended...

Aaron

Nick said...

Nice! I've just battled a lively headwind on my way to work, but I bet it'll have changed direction by the time I go home.

Anonymous said...

Yes 2whls3spds, and you too Nick, that's normally the way of the game. I was just lucky and priviledged last Saturday, like fame we all get a chance to experience it, we've just got to be out there.